A metropolis of bustling bazaars, medieval mosques, and soaring skyscrapers, Egypt’s colourful capital is a bizarre mixture of the ancient and modern. Tour pyramids and museums on your Cairo holidays.
Things to Do in Cairo
- Spend a day or two touring Islamic Cairo. Our top picks are the Mosque of Muhammad Ali which is perched atop the citadel, the Al-Hussein Mosque, and the Khan el-Khalili Bazaar – which dates back to medieval times.
- Pay a visit to the Egyptian Museum to see the glittering treasures of Tutankhamun, laid alongside a number of royal mummies, and some fascinating ancient artefacts.
- Sample some delicious Egyptian cooking at Felfela. With its authentic cuisine and enjoyable atmosphere, this chain of restaurants is a favourite among locals and travellers alike.
- Discover Pyramids of Sakkara which are in fact older than those in Giza. Of course, we would still recommend touring the Sphinx and the Pyramids of Giza – they’re magnificent.
Best Time to Visit
Mar-Apr/Oct-Nov: The weather is sunny all year, and while these months are still quite hot, they are usually more bearable than the peak months. Cairo weather tends to remain hot all year round, with little rainfall. Hot season lasts from May to September when temperatures can reach well into the 30s. December to February are the coldest months with an average temperature of 14°
Visit 15th of August for the Wafaa Al-Nil Festival which comes from an ancient festival where the Pharaoh would sacrifice a girl into the River Nile – don’t worry today it’s just a wooden doll dressed as a bride. This celebration also features music, arts, and poetry.
Why We Love It
“Cairo is an unbelievable city, there are so many markets and bazaars so it’s great for shopaholics as well as historians. The Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx are obviously a must-do, they’re huge!”
- Total Feedback: 2
- Excellent Approval Rating: 33.33%