Lying along South Africa’s east coast, Durban is a cosmopolitan city boasting beautiful beaches. Experience sun-soaked sands, Indian heritage, and Zulu culture, on your Durban holidays.
Things to Do in Durban
- Explore Durban’s Indian District. Boasting a large Indian population, Durban is home to colourful Hindu temples, gorgeous mosques, and buzzing bazaars – be sure to visit the Victoria Street Market.
- Stroll the Golden Mile. Named for its stretches of golden sanded beaches, the Golden Mile is a favourite of surfers, sunbathers, and holidaying families.
- Pick up some good luck medicine at the Zulu Muti Market. This outdoor market stocks medicines to help with everything from a toothache to a failing business.
- Follow the Inanda Heritage Trail. Visit Mahatma Gandhi’s Phoenix Settlement, and see the Inanda Seminary – one of South Africa’s oldest school for girls, just outside Durban.
Best Time to Visit
Apr-Aug: Tends to be warm all year, but this would be the best time to visit Durban, as the weather is hot (18-23°) and these are the driest months. Summers (January to March) are hot and rainy. October to March tends to see a lot of wet days so it might be best to avoid this time if you’re hoping to take advantage of the beaches.
Visit in August for the South African Women’s Art Festival. Featuring everything from crafts, plays, and poetry slams, to leadership workshops, the Playhouse Theatre offers a powerful platform for these often poignant performances.
Why We Love It
[GoHop Team] “Durban is a fantastic destination. If you’re thinking of going on safari nearby, I would recommend the Tala Game Reserve. It’s home to rhino, hippo, wildebeest, and birdlife.”
- Total Feedback: 6
- Excellent Approval Rating: 27.67%
Poor personal touch, website worked fine!