A former gold town and now South Africa’s biggest city, Jo’burg boasts a pumping music scene, enviable shopping, and an array of museums, and is an ideal starting point for visiting the nearby Kruger National Park.
Things to Do in Johannesburg
- Discover Jo’burg’s bustling bar scene on Melville’s Seventh Street. Whether you want to catch a live band or go clubbing ‘til the early hours, Seventh Street is where to be.
- Be sure to visit the Apartheid Museum for a sombre insight into South Africa’s dark past.
- Indulge in some retail therapy at the Sandton City Mall. If markets are more your scene try the Rosebank Mall which has a rooftop market – perfect for picking up souvenirs. We also love the Sunday Morning Market on Main.
- Book a stay in the Kruger National Park. Get spine-tinglingly close to lions and rhino while on safari at one of Africa’s best wildlife parks.
Best Time to Visit
Apr-Sep: Probably the best time to plan your Johannesburg holidays. June and July (winter) can be quite cool with temperatures of around 10°. Johannesburg weather experiences hot, rainy summers and mild, sometimes cool, winters.
The best time for game viewing in Kruger National Park is from June to October (September and October especially) when the concentrations of wildlife are greater. You should also note that it gets cold in Kruger at night so pack some jumpers!
Music lovers should check out the Joy of Jazz Festival in September. Held in a city renowned for its exciting music scene, this festival features some incredible local and international acts.
Why We Love It
[GoHop Team] “Jo’burg, also called Jozi, is a really great city. The Apartheid Museum is a must-do for anyone interested in South Africa’s history, it’s incredibly moving.”
- Total Feedback: 27
- Excellent Approval Rating: 33.33%