A narrow strip of land clinging to mainland Southeast Asia, Vietnam boasts a fascinating history and coastline to rival California’s. Vietnam holidays are loaded with white beaches, charming cities, and delicious food.
Things to Do in Vietnam
- Spend a few days in Hoi An. Famous for its cheap tailors, Hoi An is one of Vietnam’s prettiest cities. Whether it’s the beautifully-preserved colonial architecture or the chilled pace of life, Hoi An is always a traveller’s favourite.
- Crawl through the Cu Chi Tunnels. This intrinsic network of underground tunnels and jungle booby traps reveal the fascinating – albeit gruesome – guerrilla tactics used by the Viet Cong during the Vietnam War.
- Be sure to try Vietnamese coffee. Aromatic, with hints of vanilla, and often served with condensed milk, Vietnamese coffee is for those who like their coffee sweet.
- Take a boat to Halong Bay. Thousands of limestone islands peeking out of serene emerald waters, Halong Bay is the legendary land “where the dragon descends into the sea”.
Best Time to Visit
Vietnam weather tends to be hot and quite humid all year round, however winters in the north – November to February – can get very cool but it’s still fine for travel.
Generally speaking rainy season runs from June to October throughout the country. It’s best to visit the north from February to May, the south from November to May, and the central areas from January to August.
Overall, if you’re planning on travelling around the country, the best time to visit Vietnam would be from February to May.
Take a trip around February to ring in the Vietnamese New Year. Known as Tet, celebrations last from 3 to 7 days. Locals often take to streets with firecrackers, drums, and gongs making as much noise as possible to ward off evil spirits – it’s a great atmosphere.
Visit around September for the Festival of Tet Trung Thu. Generally considered a children’s festival, adults are bound to love it too. With mooncakes, lanterns, costumes and local children performing lion dances, this celebration is sure to impress any audience.
Why We Love It
[Paul] “Vietnam is amazing destination with so much on offer. The food, the cities, the people, and the beaches – Nha Trang and Phu Quoc both have amazing beaches. Be sure to see a water puppet show if you’re in Hanoi!”
- Total Feedback:316
- Excellent Approval Rating:98%
I particularly liked the fact that there is the option to book multi city trips and you are not refined to booking return trips to/from the same city.