Often overlooked in favour of its neighbours, landlocked Laos is Asia’s best kept secret. Laos holidays offer atmospheric temples, lake-side beaches, tangled jungles, and friendly locals, to any willing traveller.
Things to Do in Laos
- Spend a few days in Luang Prabang. Tour the Old City, shop at the markets, visit the bewitching Wat Xieng Thong Temple, and take a daytrip to the Kuang Si Falls – beautiful green waterfalls outside the city.
- Laos boasts pristine forests brimming with waterfalls, wildlife, and excellent hiking trails. The elephant watchtower in Phou Khao Khouay Protected Area is perfect for anyone hoping to glimpse these gentle giants.
- A clear sticky rice whiskey with a serious fire behind it, lao-lao is not for the faint-hearted. Hosts – sometimes also small restaurant owners – may offer you a drink of lao-lao and it is considered only polite to accept.
- Pay a visit to Vientiane’s quirky Buddha Park – Xieng Khuan. Take photos with hundreds of Buddha statues ranging in size from tiny to the famous giant reclining Buddha.
Best Time to Visit
Nov-Jan: The weather is cooler and drier than it would be in the hottest months. Laos is quite hot and quite humid throughout the year, with mountainous areas often slightly cooler. Rainy season runs from June to October so expect some heavy showers. February to May is dry and hot, and temperatures can reach up to 40°.
Visit in April to celebrate the Lao New Year. Songkran – also called Bun Pi Mai – is three whole days of water fights, street parties, feasts, and general merriment, welcoming in the New Year and washing away past hardships.
Take a trip around early September for the Luang Prabang Boat Races. Held along the Nam Kan, this dragon boat race also features a major market day before the day of the races and lots of festivities throughout the night on race day.
Why We Love It
“I visited Laos last year and don't know why I didn't go sooner. It's such a beautiful country, the people are so kind, and everything is unbelievably cheap. Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng are my two favourite spots”.
Jennifer Kearney, Sales Executive
- Total Feedback:4504
- Excellent Approval Rating:48.5%