A city still rebuilding itself after the tragic quakes of 2010-11. Creative locals are lining the streets of Christchurch with pop-up shops and cafes housed in shipping containers, and the result is wonderfully optimistic.
Things to Do in Christchurch
- Go for a stroll around the Botanic Gardens in Hagley Park. Whether draped in winter snow or covered in blooming spring roses, these gardens are gorgeous year-round.
- Learn about Maori culture at Ko Tane. Dance the haka and sample a delicious hangi at this Maori village located in the Willowbank Wildlife Reserve. The reserve is also home to indigenous wildlife, such as kiwis.
- Spend Saturday morning at the Farmers’ Market. Held in the pretty grounds of Riccarton House, you’ll find organic fruit, South Island cheeses, and craft beers here.
- Pay your respects to the lives lost during the 2010-11 earthquakes at the Cardboard Cathedral – built to replace the destroyed stone cathedral – and 185 Chairs – an open-air installation of white chairs, each one representing a quake victim.
Best Time to Visit
Nov-Mar: The warm weather makes things easier if you want to spend time outdoors, but you might still encounter the odd rainy day. It's common enough for temperatures to reach 20°C in December/January.
Christchurch weather varies throughout the year with winter (June – August) temperatures averaging around 7° and summer (December – February) at about 17°.
Check out the World Buskers Festival held in late January. Watch the city become one big stage to circus acts, music gigs, comedy shows and street performers at this ten-day extravaganza.
Take a trip in September for the Christchurch Arts Festival featuring live music, comedy, theatre and dance held in various venues throughout the city.
Why We Love It“The people in Christchurch are so friendly, and the coffee is pretty good too. I would recommend a visit to the Willowbank Wildlife Reserve, it’s a great place for spotting native wildlife.”
Orla Tooher, Sales Executive
- Total Feedback: 2
- Excellent Approval Rating: 33.33%