Calgary is a vibrant, charismatic city on the outskirts of the Rocky mountains. The sunniest hotspot in all of Canada, a holiday in Calgary boasts an eclectic blend of modern city life and the wild west.
Things to Do in Calgary
- Experience the historic “Wild West” past of Calgary at the Heritage Park Historical Village. It feels like you’re genuinely living and breathing old Western Canada here.
- If you’re a night owl, you have to spend a night partying in Wildhorse Saloon, there are daily concerts, mouth-watering barbeques and lots of dancing. The Aussie Rules Duelling Piano Bar is a must-see as well.
- A really great day out for families and thrill-seekers alike is a trip to Calaway Amusement Park. It’s got kid-friendly water log rides, terrifying roller coasters and more.
- Shop til’ you drop on Stephen Avenue Walk, downtown Calgary’s best shopping district. There’s usually quirky street performers and local artists hanging around too.
Best Time to Visit
Jun-Aug: The weather is at its absolute best if you want to appreciate the outdoors, but don't be surprised if you encounter a bit of rain. Calgary is the sunniest city in all of Canada and unlike other big cities, but it manages to avoid the uncomfortable humidity that usually comes with summer.
With plenty of snowfall and freezing temperatures, February is the best time to visit the ski resorts close to Calgary.
If you class yourself as a bit of a wine connoisseur you will love the annual Winefest that takes place in Calgary every February. You can get an all-inclusive pass to hundreds of local and international wines.
Calgary is home to the world-famous Calgary Stampede every July. This wild western festival features everything from rodeos to horse shows to cowboy culture.
Another exciting time to visit Calgary is during the Calgary International Film Festival that takes place in September or October every year. Films buffs can prepare for pleasant and mild weather with a little rainfall.
Why We Love It“The nightlife is so varied, there are so many dance clubs as well as chilled-out bars and themed nights. There's a good bit of history too, and I love exploring the old Western side of things.”
Orla Tooher, Sales Executive
- Total Feedback: 9
- Excellent Approval Rating: 33.33%