A gem of Eastern Europe, Bulgaria is loaded with historic cities, sun-kissed beaches, and magnificent mountain scenery. On top of this, Bulgaria holidays are also surprisingly cheap.
Things to Do in Bulgaria
- Take a tour of Plovdiv Old Town. A city older than Rome; picture winding cobbled alleyways lined with quaint buildings, charming cafes and small shops. Make sure you don't miss the beautiful Roman Amphitheatre!
- Spend a day or two wandering Sofia. Visit the Cathedral Saint Alexander Nevski, head for lunch at Lubimoto, and after have drinks in the Candlelight Bar – a bar lit entirely by candles.
- Be sure to see the Rila Monastery. Located a 2 hour drive from Sofia, and tucked away in the green mountains, this Eastern Orthodox monastery is an spectacular sight.
- Laze on sun-soaked sands at Sunny Beach. A great place to unwind, Sunny Beach is Bulgaria’s answer to Costa del Sol.
Best Time to Visit
Bulgaria weather varies throughout the year. Summers are hot and dry, while winters are cold and often bring snow, especially in the mountainous areas.
The best time to visit Bulgaria depends on what you want to do. If you're hoping to bask in the sunshine on Sunny Beach, then the summer months of June to September are ideal. Be warned, this is also high season.
If you're considering hitting the ski slopes in Bansko then mid-December to mid-April are best.
Visit mid-June for Meadows in the Mountains. A camping festival featuring a medley of music genres, trees strewn with bunting, and bonfires, all set in the beautiful Bulgarian mountains. Meadows is fast becoming known as a boutique Burning Man.
Take a trip to Plovdiv around the last Friday of September for Night of the Galleries, where you can explore the city's art museums and galleries into the early morning hours.
Why we love it
- Total Feedback: 1
- Excellent Approval Rating: 33.33%