Elounda is located in east Crete just north of Agios Nikolaos. Elounda was once a quiet, beautiful fishing village in Mirabello Bay. The village was then discovered by tourism and has since become a popular holiday destination because of its beauty and abundance of 5 star hotels.
Things to do in Elounda:
- Laze in the sun on the gorgeous Elounda beach. Located just north of the harbour, the golden sand stretches on for 200m. It has been awarded a blue flag for cleanliness and is the perfect place to relax on your Greek holiday.
- View the only remains of Olous, the submerged ancient city. When archaeologists excavated they found five stone windmills, which are now open to the public.
- Visit Spinalonga Island, which is also known as the ‘Island of tears’ due to its history as a leper colony. Take a guided tour of what is left of the colony. Some of the streets still have remains of homes and shops where the leprosy sufferers tried to create a somewhat ordinary life.
- Enjoy the relaxed nightlife on an Elounda holiday. It is the perfect romantic getaway destination.
Best time to visit:
- Total Feedback: 5,245
- Excellent Approval Rating: 32.33%