Things to do in Sicily
- Visit the incredible Mt Etna, tallest active volcano in Europe. In ancient times it was considered a sacred mountain, and it’s easy to see why. You can book tours along the mountainside, which offer some of the best views of Sicily.
- Near Mt Etna on the slopes of Monte Taouro is the town of Taormina, another must-see. It is the main resort on the island and would be our first choice for where to stay in Sicily. Walking through its ancient ruins and magnificent outdoor theatre is an absolute joy.
- The Godfather tour is an absolute must, and not just for film fans. You will get to see the filming locations for memorable scenes from the movies, including visit the famous Bar Vitelli. More than that, it’s also a great way to take in some of the incredible countryside.
- Browse through the bustling markets of Palermo. Sicily has been an important trading hub as far back as the times of Ancient Greece, and sampling some of the local food will show you exactly why. From fresh fish and bread to wine and cheese, you’d best go in with a healthy appetite!
- In Sicily, beaches are not only in high supply, but amongst the best in Europe. One of our favourites would be Rabbit Beach near the island of Lampedusa. Lampedusa is the southernmost Sicilian Island, and regular ferries depart from Sicily. It is worth making the trip simply to escape to the wonderful crystal-clear waters of Rabbit Beach.
Best time to visit
To avoid both the highest temperatures and largest crowds, May or September are usually the best times to visit. Prices are usually lower in these months due to the smaller crowds, but the temperatures will remain around the 20°C mark, making it easier to explore the outdoors.
In September there is an event called the “Cous Cous Fest”, which is a celebration of different cultures and food. Sampling the various kinds of couscous is only one of the attractions here, as there are also concerts and cooking shows by professional chefs. The event is held in a place called San Vito La Capo and is perfect for those looking for something different.