Amalfi Coast & Sorrento
Things to do in Amalfi Coast & Sorrento
- Soak in as much of the spectacular Amalfi coast as possible by booking a boat ride along the bay. The tours offer breathtaking views of what is one of the most beautiful coastlines in Europe.
- Wander through the streets of Sorrento or take a hiking tour. Sorrento itself doesn’t offer much in the way of beaches, but it is worth exploring to find some of the best views of Mt Vesuvius and Bay of Naples.
- Taking a day trip over to the ancient city of Pompeii is a must. It is truly special to see such a well preserved Roman city, and shouldn’t be missed. This is one of Italy’s most popular destinations, so be sure to book this as early as possible.
- As well as Pompeii, the nearby town of Herculaneum is another ancient Roman town that was covered in ash by the eruption of Mt Vesuvius. It is smaller than its neighbour, but has everything from old Roman advertisements to well-preserved clothes and remarkable mosaics. It could be worth doing both.
- Visit the islands of Capri and Ischia. The beauty of the isle of Capri cannot be overstated, but Ischia is another, often quieter option with a fantastic selection of beaches.
Best time to visit
Unless you want to visit when the crowds and temperatures are at their peak, May or September would be the best times to visit. Both months tend to be similar in terms of weather, usually temperatures sit around 20°C. There are usually much smaller crowds too, making trips to places like Amalfi or Pompeii much easier. Prices tend to be much lower than in the peak months of July and August.