Birthplace of the Renaissance and the home of many of the world’s finest works of art, Tuscany holidays are full of wonders. From vast rolling hills dotted with vineyards to imposing mountain ranges like the Apennine Mountains, its countryside is simply stunning. Whether you want to explore the wonderful history and architecture of Florence, or visit one of its popular beachside resorts, Tuscany has something to please anyone.
Things to do in Tuscany
- Seeing as how Tuscany covers such a wide area with so many things to see and do, renting a car is highly recommended. Public transport between cities like Pisa and Florence is good, but to get to some of the more remote places is easier by car.
- The Terme di Montecatini Spa is a wonderful place to relax in luxurious thermal baths and showers. Located about an hour outside of Florence, it’s also easily accessible.
- Wander through the ancient streets of Florence and take in some of its magnificent architecture and history. The Accademia Gallery is home to Michelangelo’s David, and the Uffizi Gallery has works by Leonardo da Vinci, Giotto, Botticelli and Michelangelo.
- One great way to get around Florence is by going on a Segway tour. There are tours available during the day or at night, and it’s a fun way to get to all of the different sites.
- Food lovers can choose from one of the many wine tasting tours and cooking courses. Tuscany offers some of Italy’s best food and drink (that’s saying a lot!), so sampling as much as possible is an absolute must.
Best time to visit
For the best weather to see the stunning Tuscan countryside, the cooler months of April, May, September or October would be ideal for a holiday in Tuscany. Temperatures would be around 20°C during these months, which would be much easier than the hottest months of July and August. The months of early autumn can be particularly beautiful as the countryside changes with the colours of the season.