Venice HolidaysKnown by names such as the “Bride of the Sea”, and the “Floating City”, Venice is truly a unique city with a special place in Italian history and culture. Its many nicknames reflects the nature of the city itself, as it is set over 118 individual islands. Walking along its narrow streets or on winding canals in a Gondola, you will be able to see some of the finest architecture in Europe. Whether you want to soak in landmarks like St Mark’s Basilica and the Rialto Bridge or visit the nearby Venetian Riviera, there is a fantastic number of things to do in Venice.
Things to do in Venice
- Take a visit to St Mark’s Square. The Square is surrounded by famous landmarks like St Mark’s Basilica, the Campanile and Doge’s Palace. It’s often the busiest spot in Venice, so we recommend staying in the Lista Di Stagna area as it is more reasonably priced.
- This might seem obvious, but taking a Gondola ride in Venice is a must. As well as being on many people’s bucket lists, you’ll get the chance to see some of the wonderful architecture that supports the Floating City.
- For lovers of shopping, Le Mercerie are a series of streets that offer some of the finest Italian fashion on offer. The street named Calle Larga XXII Marzo is another favourite for style, and both are within walking distance of each other.
- Make a trip to the beautiful Venetian Riviera. Situated close to the bustling city of Venice is Lido di Jesolo, which is not only Italy’s longest beach but also one of the its finest. Public transport can take you from the city to the Riviera, and it is worth the trip to escape to see some of the Italian countryside.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit is anytime except July and August as Venice can be too crowded hot. The weather in May, June or September would usually be around 20°C, which would probably be easier for most people.
While it tends to be a very busy time of year, the Carnival of Venice is truly spectacular. The people of the city wear elaborate masks, and celebrations continue for weeks. Those willing to splash out can attend one of the exclusive balls, but other fantastic events are available for those on budgets.
Why we love it
- Total Feedback: 2
- Excellent Approval Rating: 50.00%