Best of Thailand & Malaysia
Visit South East Asia’s buzzing cities and pristine islands on a highlight packed journey through Thailand and Malaysia. Explore these distinct cultures, from the laidback beachside bliss of Krabi to modern Kuala Lumpur. Travel to Northern Thailand and experience the incredible hospitality of the Thai people on a rural homestay. Discover Chiang Mai, a treasure trove of glittering temples and mouth-watering cuisine, before heading south to the beach haven of Penang. Contrast the sights and sounds of South East Asia by ending the trip in ultra-modern Singapore, a glimpse of the future and a great place to explore.
- Work up an appetite with a leisurely cycle through the ancient Buddhas and ruined temples of Heritage-listed Sukothai Park, then feast on a home-cooked picnic lunch
- Experience daily rural life firsthand in the north and the south of Thailand when staying with long-time Intrepid friends at 2 homestays
- Support an important animal welfare initiative and get close to incredible creatures at the Hospital of the Friends of the Asian Elephant
- Dive into the nature lover’s paradise of Khao Sok National Park, exploring, hiking, relaxing, and cruising by longtail boat on a limestone cliff-circled lake
- Discover a true slice of paradise on an included sea kayaking trip through the stunning inlets, caves and hidden lagoons of the Ao Thalane mangrove forests
- Encounter the fusion of cultures that gives Penang a unique atmosphere; walk down the backstreets where colonial buildings, tumble-down shops and hawker-filled alleyways meld with cool street art. Get up-close and personal with Malaysian food as you eat where the locals do on a Hawker food experience
- Discover a different side of KL through the backstreets, and learn about the diversity of culture along with one of the main parts, the food on your half day tour.
- Explore the streets of Melaka from a cycle rickshaw
|Physical||Cultural||Max Group Size||12||Duration||22 days|
|Category||Silver||The classic small group tour, with some included activities and staying at reasonably priced accommodation.|
Day 1 - Bangkok
Day 2 - Sukhothai
Day 3 - Sukhothai
Day 4 - Homestay
Day 5 - Chiang Mai
Day 6 - Chiang Mai
Day 7 - Chiang Mai
Day 8 - Bangkok
As this is a combination trip, your group leader and the composition of your group may change at this location. There will be a group meeting at 6 pm this evening to discuss the next stage of your itinerary and you're welcome to attend, as this is a great chance to meet your new fellow travellers.
Day 9 - Bangkok
Day 10 - Khao Sok National Park
Day 11 - Khao Sok
Day 12 - Homestay
Day 13 - Krabi
Day 14 - Ao Nang
Day 15 - Penang
Day 16 - Penang
Day 17 - Kuala Lumpur
Day 18 - Kuala Lumpur
This afternoon enjoy some free time. Perhaps visit the National Monument
(commemorating those who died in Malaysia's struggle for freedom and based on the Iwo Jima Memorial in the USA), the vast National Mosque, featuring a bold and modern design, or the Istana Negara (National Palace). You might like to stroll Dataran Merdeka (Independence Square), or shop in Suria KLCC (one of Malaysia’s premier shopping destinations) and then head up to the Skybridge & Observation Deck of the iconic Petronas Towers to gain another view on this cosmopolitan city. Those with a head for heights can also climb up the KL Tower at dusk and watch the city lights come to life. Lake Gardens is home to a number of sights, including the National Planetarium and the superb Islamic Arts Museum, home to a standout collection.