Classic South East Asia
From Vietnam to Cambodia, discover incredible diversity, delectable cuisines, dramatic histories and natural beauty. Travel to Cambodia and delve into the dramatic Khmer legacy in Phnom Penh and explore the intricate temples of Angkor Wat. Travel to Vietnam and view the country's colourful history on the busy streets of Ho Chi Minh City, and explore the colonial-era among the architecture of Hanoi. This trip offers places of breathtaking beauty, from the backwaters of the Mekong Delta, to the jungles of Cambodia and the wonder of Halong Bay. Add a mix of friendly locals and age-old traditions to ensure the ultimate South East Asian experience.
- Whip up a culinary storm and taste delicious local dishes in a Thai cooking class in Chiang Mai
- Immerse yourself in the wonders of an ancient tribal culture with a night in the Hmong Lodge, treated to a BBQ dinner and Hmong Cultural show
- Make some new pachyderm pals at the unique Friends of the Asian Elephant Hospital and learn about the great work they do to protect these magnificent creatures
- By paying homage to ancient Angkor, you will visit one of the world's greatest archaeological treasures
- Discover the contrasting sides to Cambodia’s history at Phnom Penh’s Tuol Sieng Genocide Museum (S21) and Choeung Ek, and the city’s Royal palace and Silver Pagoda
- Visiting Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, you will uncover that vibrant mix of the various major influences.
- Hoi An and Halong Bay unveil places of eternal beauty that have played their part in Vietnam's history.
|Physical||Cultural||Max Group Size||12||Duration||23 days|
|Category||Gold||Trips for those who want a tonne of inclusions, better standard accommodation, larger roomier vehicles.|
Day 1 - Bangkok
Notes: The arrival transfer is only valid if arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-trip accommodation through Intrepid. Please provide your flight details at the time of booking, or at a minimum 15 days prior to travel, as we may not be able confirm a request made within 15 days of travel.
Day 2 - Bangkok / overnight train
Please see important information in the "What to Take"' section of the trip notes regarding strict dress code for the Grand Palace visit.
Day 3 - Chiang Mai
Day 4 - Chiang Mai
Day 5 - H'mong Lodge
Day 6 - Sukhothai
Day 7 - Sukhothai
Day 8 - Kanchanaburi
Day 9 - Kanchanaburi
Day 10 - Bangkok
In the evening, enjoy an included dinner at Cabbages & Condom, a highly original restaurant initiative that raises money and awareness for sexual health and family planning. Enjoy great food while supporting a great cause on your final night's dinner in Bangkok.
Day 11 - Phnom Penh
As this is a combination trip, your group leader and the composition of your group may change at this location. There will be a group meeting to discuss the next stage of your itinerary and you're welcome to attend, as this is a great chance to meet your new fellow travellers.
Dinner tonight will be at the restaurant run by the Friends organisation, a group which offers food, shelter, medical care, training and educational facilities for homeless, vulnerable or abandoned children. It's a great restaurant to support and the food is delicious – the Western and Asian fusion tapas dishes has put this restaurant on the must visit list.
Day 12 - Phnom Penh
Notes: The Tuol Sleng Prison Museum and Killing Fields of Choeung Ek are major parts of the experience here, but if you don't wish to visit them, please inform your tour leader.
Day 13 - Siem Reap
Day 14 - Siem Reap / Angkor Wat
Notes: The Sala Bai Hotel School is closed on public and school holidays, so on these days an alternative restaurant will be used.
Day 15 - Siem Reap
Day 16 - Ho Chi Minh City
As this is a combination trip, your group leader and the composition of your group may change at this location. There will be a group meeting at 6pm to discuss the next stage of your itinerary and you're welcome to attend, as this is a great chance to meet your new fellow travellers. his meeting is generally followed by an optional group meal out at one of Ho Chi Minh City's many fantastic eating spots.