Thailand - Hike, Bike & Kayak
Fancy some outdoor activity in a tropical paradise? Now's your chance as we launch into the remote highlands of Northern Thailand from Bangkok, one of Asia's most cosmopolitan cities. Travel into steamy rainforests on foot to visit colourful hilltribes, cruise down the River Kwai on kayaks and explore the lesser-known side of Chiang Mai from a bicycle. The diversity of exciting outdoor options makes Thailand a haven for adventurers.
- Cycle off the main streets and into the heart and soul of Bangkok with a backstreets bike tour
- Even the transport on this trip is an adventure â travel like the locals on an overnight sleeper train, a real Intrepid experience and a great chance to interact with the Thai people
- Get the heart pumping on a 3 day trek through scenic and enlightening northern hilltribe villages, and experience rural Thai life from a local's perspective with two nights in village homestays
- Explore areas of Chiang Mai rarely seen by visitors with 2 days cycling through local neighbourhoods, discovering everyday Thai life that thrives in the backstreets
- Uncover a different side to the River Kwai with 2 days peaceful kayaking down its waters, through tropical forest and with beautiful mountain views
- Spend a night aboard a jungle raft
|Physical||Cultural||Max Group Size||12||Duration||12 days|
|Themes||Walking & Trekking, Cycling, Explorer|
|Category||Silver||The classic small group tour, with some included activities and staying at reasonably priced accommodation.|
Day 1 - Bangkok
Day 2 - Bangkok / Overnight sleeper train
Day 3 - Hilltribe Trek
Notes: All meals are included while trekking, but you'll need to purchase and carry your own water (please allow approximately US$10 to cover your water purchase for the trek). Accommodation is multishare, sleeping on rented roll mats on the floor of the wooden/bamboo huts typical of the villages. There are shared squat toilets and basic washing facilities (a hose or water pipe) in most villages. You may also be able to wash in a nearby stream. Warmer clothing and sleeping bags are recommended from November to January, as the nights are usually quite cool during this period.
Day 4 - Hilltribe Trek
Day 5 - Hilltribe Trek / Chiang Mai
Day 6 - Chiang Mai
Day 7 - Chiang Mai
Day 8 - Chiang Mai / Overnight sleeper train
Day 9 - Kanchanaburi / River Kwai
Day 10 - Kanchanaburi / River Kwai
You will kayak for approximate 23Kms on this day. Double seater kayaks are provided.
Day 11 - Kanchanaburi
Notes: There will be a support vehicle with you for these two days, just in case anyone gets tired and would like a rest from kayaking. The amount of kayaking done on Day 11 can depend on the groupâs wishes and fitness. It can be 35 kilometres, but it may also be possible to finish kayaking after lunch and visit the seven-tiered Erwan Waterfalls in the afternoon.