As the gateway to the south of India, Chennai is a modern Indian city that’s always bustling. Chennai holidays hold a myriad of treats in store with everything from golden sandy beaches to traditional Tamil culture.
Things to Do in Chennai
- A holiday to Chennai is not complete without visiting the magnificent Mahabalipuram Cave Temples by the sea. The thousands of intricate carvings in the rock are beyond fascinating.
- Catch one of the most captivating sunsets or sunrises you will ever see at Marina Beach. Take a horseback ride along the shore to the southern end where Madras Lighthouse gives you panoramic city views.
- Explore the winding streets of Fort St George, an old British fortress awash with spectacular white buildings. A trip to The Fort Museum here is a must for history buffs!
- Gorge on vegetarian food at Saravana Bhavan. Authentic South Indian cuisine at reasonable price – what’s not to love?
Best Time to Visit
Jan-Feb: You should avoid the hottest weather, but still enjoy pleasantly warm temperatures with little chance of heavy rainfall.
Chennai has a tropical climate with three different seasons. Hot season runs from April to June, monsoon season runs from July to December, and the cooler dry season which lasts from January to March.
From mid-December to January Chennai hosts its own Dance and Music Festival, one of the largest in the world. Watch the city erupt into a musical extravaganza featuring over 2000 participants.
Visit in January for the Pongal Festival, where you will see the most colourful cows in your life. In celebration of the harvest season, locals begin bathing their cattle, painting their horns and dressing them in flowers and beads.
Why we love it
“The Kapaleeswarar Temple is a must-see for anyone in Chennai. It’s a huge towering temple decorated with colourful carvings of the Hindu deity.”
Andre Migliarina, Sales Executive
- Total Feedback: 4
- Excellent Approval Rating: 25.00%